Area Executive Director, Sales
Our mission is to improve the health and quality of life for the millions of people affected by chronic respiratory diseases. We do this through the development of our first-in-class molecule, ensifentrine. Ensifentrine has the potential to provide relief for millions of patients suffering from a variety of respiratory conditions including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis (CF) and asthma. Our focus is driven by our desire to ensure that innovative and differentiated molecules can reach these patients.
The experience of the Verona team, and its highly effective leadership allows us to challenge the status quo in drug development and commercialization. Verona provides a professional, diverse, and inclusive working environment where our employees thrive. We are driven to succeed by our desire to help those dealing with the chronic progressive nature of respiratory diseases. We offer you the opportunity to help create a new future for those people living with respiratory diseases.
Verona Pharma is currently recruiting an Area Executive Director, Sales to join our team, reporting to the VP, Sales, Marketing & Training. In this role, you will be responsible for providing sales leadership, business management, direction, coaching and development for a team of Sales Managers/Directors, and Territory Managers/Representatives reporting to him/her within an assigned geography, while achieving or exceeding Verona Pharma’s business goals across the same geography
The AED must demonstrate a strong understanding of the Identified Area healthcare marketplace and local payer landscape. The position requires a knowledge of appropriate disease states as well as the ability to communicate necessary technical, scientific and product information to his/her teams. The AED must be able to effectively collaborate with key Home Office (HO) and field-based personnel in developing effective Area Business Plans that support and communicate Verona Pharma’s Commercial strategies to his/her teams. The AED must serve as a Compliance leader, communicating, supporting and enforcing all Verona Pharma’s Policies
To be successful in this role, you will possess a drive to meet overall business goals while maximizing the potential of each Area employee.
- Lead a multi-state team of Sales Managers/Directors, and Territory Managers/Representatives in promotion of Verona Pharma’s products to targeted Healthcare Professionals (HCPs). Each AED will have ~6 RSDs reporting directly into them. ~50 Territory Managers will also report up through each RSD to AED
- Lead the Area team in the achievement of Verona Pharma’s specific product and business goals on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Direct the efforts of the Sales Managers/Directors and Territory Managers in the acquisition, expansion and retention of targeted business within the assigned area
- Provide routine coaching and feedback to the Sales Managers/Directors that supports their development and the achievement of Verona Pharma’s business objectives
- Develop focused Area Business Plans that effectively translate Verona Pharma’s Commercial objectives into actionable and achievable strategies/tactics at the Area level
- Manage and deploy resources (e.g. financial, field staff) to ensure achievement of objectives on time, on budget, and fully in accordance with Verona Pharma’s high ethical, regulatory, legal and compliance standards
- Routine engagement with key Area customers in collaboration with both Home Office and other field-based personnel (Marketing, Medical Affairs, Market Access) and deploy resources (e.g. financial, field staff) to ensure achievement of objectives on time, on budget, and fully in accordance with Verona Pharma’s high ethical, regulatory, legal and compliance standards
- Routine engagement with key Area customers in collaboration with both Home Office and other field-based personnel (Marketing, Training, Market Development, Medical Affairs)
- Attract, hire, train, develop and retain associates who will drive a continuous level of high performance within their assigned geography
- Work with Vice President, Sales, Marketing & Training (and other HO and field-based personnel) to support appropriate behaviors on the team that will lead to sales growth at the Area level
- Lead the Area team in compliance with all Verona Pharma Human Resource policies, procedures and systems
- Performance Management - Manage associate performance consistently across the Area. Responsible for delivering performance reviews, making recommendations for merit increases, and recommending equity adjustments as necessary
- Lead and support HO projects and initiatives as needed
- Effectively manage administrative processes and responsibilities for the Area
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10+ years of Sales and Sales Leadership experience
- 5+ years Managing Sales Managers with proven track record of success
- Experience within respiratory preferred
- Recent launch experience strongly preferred
- Selling in specialty distribution model preferred
- Ability to excel in a cross-cultural, global team environment.
- Strong communication skills (verbal/written), analytical skills and attention to detail
- Initiative and creativity in achieving results.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and project management skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and “roll-up your sleeves” culture. A self-starter who functions well both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple internal cross-functional teams and successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple assignments, deliver activities and results while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced working environment.
- Must be able to travel as needed; approximately 75%.
Skills, Specialized Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Strong scientific/medical aptitude, ability to communicate complex scientific/medical concepts in a simple and understandable manner
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills; demonstrated ability to work constructively
- Highly professional demeanour to effectively interact with senior internal leaders and external stakeholders.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and address situations quickly while maintaining the strategic intentions of the organization
- Ability to be flexible regarding schedule and work projects.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.).
- Strong people skills.
- Excellent problem solving, risk analysis and negotiation skills.
- Effective organization, communication, and team orientation skills.
- Ability to influence and guide others; ability to work effectively and lead in teams.
- Valid drivers license, suitable driving record and safe, operable motor vehicle
- Ability to work on a PC, including repetitive use of a keyboard and mouse for long periods throughout the course of the workday.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, reach, bend, stoop, and lift throughout the course of the workday.
- Must be able to analyze and concentrate routinely throughout the course of the workday.
- May be required to travel by air/train/car for meetings, conferences, audits, and regulatory inspections, as needed.
Why Join Us?
We know our employees are our most valuable asset, and our culture conveys that. Trust, accountability and efficiency are core values that drive our working environment. We have a unique opportunity to build a company that will bring a first-in-class medication to chronic respiratory disease patients with significant unmet needs. All employees can work from home. We also welcome employees who wish to work from their local office in Raleigh, NC or Savannah, GA. We also offer a competitive benefits package, including generous PTO, to support the health and happiness of our staff.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Verona Pharma is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions at Verona Pharma are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.