Careers That Change Lives
Written in 1960, our Mission dictates that our first and foremost priority is to contribute to human welfare. Over a half-century later, the Mission continues to serve as our ethical framework and inspirational goal for our employees around the world.
The Medical Surgical Operating Unit strives to enable earlier diagnosis, better treatment, faster complication-free recovery, and enhanced patient outcomes through less invasive surgical solutions.
sets the standard for Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) by creating innovative surgical products and services that focus on obesity and diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, lung, abdominal wall, pelvic region, and the head and neck.
A Day in the Life
A Market Sales Representative is expected to achieve annual sales objectives through selling and supporting the Company’s advanced surgical and energy-based products, while representing Medtronic to the customer in accordance with Company policies and AdvaMed guidelines. Sr Market Sales Representatives develop clinical and administrative relationships in assigned accounts and formulate a "defend" territory strategy, accounting for competitive pressures and local market conditions. Sr Market Sales Representative is expected to demonstrate High Performance Practices and competencies as they meet and exceed objectives for this role.
- Achieve all territory sales objectives annually in alignment with the business strategy and annual compensation plan
- Develop an understanding of each account’s culture, competitive pressures, financial state, stakeholders and decision makers
- Build and maintain strong, professional relationships with clinical and administrative staff in assigned accounts. Through outstanding customer service, maintain a high retention rate of current accounts in territory.
- Display and leverage strong knowledge of products. Be able to provide hard data around all products, as well as account references.
- Effectively collaborate with Medtronic peers in other BUs to identify mutual opportunities and support customer relationships.
- Complete business analytics and regional reporting assignments in a timely, accurate fashion. Conduct quarterly business reviews to exhibit achievement of sales goals in all assigned accounts.
- Maintain awareness of competitive products and marketing practices, and keep sales management informed concerning them.
- Manage inventory of assigned products in accounts, as requested, and facilitate product returns in accordance with Company policy.
- Verbally deliver clear and concise instruction on the safe and efficacious use of assigned products to customers in and out of the OR setting, including in-services for surgeons and clinical staff.
- Scrub into surgical procedures utilizing assigned product line on a daily basis. Be fully able to answer questions about the products.
- Participate fully in training on new products and procedures through in person and online training programs. Attend regional and national meetings, as required.
- Adjust customer complaints in accordance with Company policy, and advise sales management promptly of any situation beyond the Sales Representative’s scope of authority.
- Assist with Sales Training courses, both in the field and in the corporate office.
- Understand and demonstrate the High Performance Practices and Expectations in daily work activities.
- Manage assigned territory within allocated expense budget. Submit expense reports and pay Company credit card on time per Medtronic policy
Clinical Selling / "Defend" Functions
- Develop and maintain a strategic account plan to defend sales in accounts in assigned territory. Execute plan to maintain sales volumes in assigned accounts.
- Leverage marketing materials, white papers and clinical evidence through consultative selling. Use clinical knowledge to develop messaging in sales proposal.
- Build and maintain strong, lasting relationships in assigned accounts to support continued business.
- Gain insight into the key individual customers and how to influence them.
- Identify opportunities for surgeons to attend Medtronic sponsored professional training programs, and participate in programs and labs (where appropriate).
Economic Selling Functions
- Integrate economic value messages into sales proposal where appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Contracts department and sales leadership to manage customer contracts, and facilitate the contract process.
- Research general account context to understand hospital economics and all key issues at major accounts.
- Display and leverage strong knowledge of accounts, purchasing process/buying cycle, and protocols.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Promotes and sells Medtronic's Minimally Invasive Therapies products and services within an assigned geographic area and /or specific customer accounts to meet or exceed sales targets.
- Responsible for developing, building, and strengthening long-term relationships with stakeholders including key opinion leaders and related major medical associations and academic centers of excellence.
- Responsible for pursuing leads, assessing needs and providing product services to maximize the benefits derived from Medtronic's Minimally Invasive Therapies products and/or services.
- Collaborates across key internal stakeholder groups (finance, sales operations, marketing, OEM, etc.) as well as peers to identify and address trends and to support business goals and strategy.
- Conducts and/or evaluates market research including customers and competitors activities.
- Develops and/or implements market development plans/strategies and changes as needed.
- Assesses customer needs and feedback regarding new products and/or modifications to existing products and communicates to internal stakeholders including R&D, Operations and Marketing.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 2 years of sales experience, or advanced degree with 0 years of experience
Nice to Have
- Minimum of 2 years of documented outside sales success in a competitive, sophisticated environment, preferably tangible products (i.e. office equipment, copiers, payroll systems, information systems)
- Evidence of top sales achievement with experience in multilevel account management is preferred
- Ability to travel domestically and within region often involving overnight stays and stays up to one week in duration.
- Medical Device industry experience preferred
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)