At Madrigal, we are committed to transforming treatment for patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). NASH will soon become the leading cause of liver transplantation in the U.S., but there are currently no approved medications to treat the disease.
Madrigal’s lead candidate, resmetirom, is a once daily, oral, thyroid hormone receptor (THR)-β selective agonist that is designed to target key underlying causes of NASH in the liver. Positive results from first of the the two Phase 3 clinical trials of resmetirom in NASH were announced in January 2022 and results from a second Phase 3 clinical trial are expected in Q4 2022. Resmetirom is on track to launch in the U.S. towards the end of 2023.
Madrigal has established its leadership position in NASH by staying true to its science-driven foundation and building a company culture based on collaboration and trust. Our team members are focused on delivering results for the benefit of investors, healthcare providers and, most importantly, patients. These values will remain central to Madrigal as the company grows and evolves its commercial capabilities to prepare for a potential first-to-market launch in NASH.
The Madrigal Story:
2004-2008: Madrigal founder Dr. Rebecca Taub studies THR-B agonism while working at Hoffmann-La Roche
2008: Madrigal predecessor company VIA Pharmaceuticals hires Dr. Taub and enters into a development agreement with Hoffmann-La Roche for resmetirom
2011: Madrigal is incorporated in Delaware and Ph 1 trial of resmetirom commences
2016: Ph 2 trial of resmetirom in NASH commences; Madrigal merges with Synta Pharmaceuticals and is listed on NASDAQ; and Dr. Paul Friedman named CEO and Rebecca Taub named CMO of Madrigal
2017-2018: Positive Ph 2 results in NASH help accelerate Madrigal’s growth
2019: Madrigal commences Ph 3 “MAESTRO” program for resmetirom
2020: Madrigal hires Remy Sukhija as Chief Commercial Officer and begins building its commercial organization
2021: Madrigal continues to expand executive team
2021-2022: Positive Phase 3 MAESTRO-NAFLD-1 resmetirom data announced
Madrigal’s commercial team:
Madrigal’s commercial team is in constant pursuit of excellence in what we do and the way we show-up, every day. Conducting our business in an honest and transparent fashion is of prime importance to us. We have a “business owner” mentality as we feel the awesome responsibility to do right by the opportunity we have been given to bring a potentially revolutionary therapy to patients and their healthcare providers. It is essential for each one us on the commercial team to have deep and up-to-date knowledge of resmetirom program and developments in NASH as we prepare to answer the needs of the patients and physicians we hope to serve with approval and launch of resmetirom in the U.S.
Opportunity and Summary of Position:
We are searching for an inspiring, dynamic, and collaborative commercial leader with a successful track record of building and leading high-performing sales teams and creating a culture of high engagement, accountability, and performance. The Vice President of Sales will be responsible for the Sales strategy and approach, as well as the launch of resmetirom, and our future product portfolio in the US, leading with a patient-focused mindset. The role will lead the functional build, resourcing, and readiness of our US sales organization as well as deployment following regulatory approval of resmetirom. The Vice President of Sales will have full accountability for the field sales organization in the US, including leadership of Area Directors, and indirect leadership of District Managers and Therapeutic Sales Specialists. This role will collaborate across the Commercialization teams including (and not limited to) Marketing, Medical Affairs, Market Access Field, Market Access Strategy, Insights and Analytics, and Sales Planning. This role is highly visible and critical to the success and future of Madrigal.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of NASH disease state, resmetirom clinical data and commercialization strategy; and while leading by example, assure the sales force acquires and maintains deep knowledge of NASH disease state and resmetirom clinical data.
- Develop sales force shape and size that leverages full benefit and potential of non-personal/digital promotions in partnership with the Vice President of Marketing & Sales Planning and CCO
- Partner with CCO and General Counsel to develop policy/SOP for sales forces’ interactions and information exchange with other field-based roles (for e.g., MSLs, Patient Services) and HQ-based roles (for e.g., Sales Planning)
- Recruit high-caliber talent for Sales force management team in line with prioritized competencies.
- Develop a national sales/business plan based on analysis and deep understanding of resmetirom strategy, market access landscape in key geographies, patient care pathways and other marketplace issues/opportunities to exceed launch sales goals. Assure business plans are created, executed and performance against business plans is measured at all levels of the sales organization.
- Develop and maintain a close relationship with KOLs/Thought Leaders in partnership with Medical Affairs leadership.
- In coordination with Key Account Management team, develop and maintain strong relationships with select GI “super groups” and Integrated Delivery Networks (IDN).
- Ensure sales force takes accountability for executing against performance and activity goals (Rx growth, calls per day, number of speaker programs executed, etc.) while maintaining focus on quality of interactions with customers and teammates.
- Play a very proactive role in monitoring activity data, sales data, market share, and other key performance indicators (KPIs) to optime sales plans and efforts at regional, district and territory levels.
- Identify and address lack-of-performance anywhere in the sales organization in a data-driven, timely and professional manner.
- Expect to spend ~80% of work time dedicated to leading and managing the sales force and ~20% involved in HQ matters during launch year.
- While leading by example, ensure that the sales organization works collaboratively at local level with other field roles (Medical Science Liaisons, Market Access Account Executives, Patient Support, etc.) and in a manner that is consistent with Madrigal policy.
- While leading by example, ensure that the sales team operates with highest compliance and integrity standards
Qualifications and Skills
- 15+ years related experience in the biotechnology industry with a proven, consistent history of high performance in a broad range of leadership roles of increasing responsibility.
- 8+ years of progressive sales leadership experience with demonstrated results with National accountability.
- BA/BS degree required. Advanced Degree in Business, Marketing or Life Sciences preferred.
- Significant product launch experience in sales leadership roles.
- Demonstrates exceptional leadership, management, and communication skills to inspire sales teams to achieve high levels of performance.
- Strong executive presence with the ability to set vision and strategy for sales at the National level and lead the organization through large scale change.
- Strong understanding of payer environment and utilization management measures that impact HCP prescribing requirements
- Strong history of creating and leading high-performance teams and creating a culture of high engagement and accountability. Lead with a one-team mindset.
- Recent experience in the commercialization of a Liver Disease product and/or GI product markets is highly desired.
- Expert level knowledge of reimbursement and market access strategies.
- Brand marketing and National/Regional Payer account management experience is highly preferred.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders, with an ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Strong collaborator that has a strong patient-focus and customer service approach.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work individually, within a multi-disciplinary team, as well as with external partners and vendors.
- Possesses strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Madrigal.
- Proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to start date required.
An attractive compensation package will be offered to the successful candidate. It will include a competitive base salary and incentive bonus. A benefits package customary to the position will also be provided including 401k match, medical and dental.
Madrigal is an equal opportunity employer.
Madrigal is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will judge all applicants based on their qualifications for the job, without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, disability status or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Unsolicited resumes from agencies should not be forwarded to Madrigal. Madrigal will not be responsible for any fees arising from the use of resumes through this source. Madrigal will only pay a fee to agencies if a formal agreement between Madrigal and the agency has been established.